It has taken me many years to realize that we had to have a routine in order to accomplish what I want out of homeschooling my children. Our routine is not set in stone obviously and changes as needed but we still have one. It looks like this currently.
- Get up at 6:45am
- do strength training exercises
- wake up boys
- get them something to eat, ie cereal, waffles, etc.
- read bible chapter to them while they eat. We are currently reading John.
- Then it is off to handwriting, spelling, writing strands, or phonics.
- Math is up next.
- They get a break while I’m at college to play, do chores, check out the garden, do yardwork.
- When I get home I check to see what needs to be done still and we usually need to do science and history. In some ways I’m longing for winter as we really tend to buckle down and so a great deal of work then.
- They can then play outside with their friends until about 7:30pm
- I’m trying to get us back to the nighttime reading but so far it is hard to get it together.
- The husband leaves for work at 8:30pm so I send the kids off to get ready for bed, I’m working hard to get them into bed by 9pm. I have noticed that their schoolwork suffers if they are tired so I”m trying to make sure they get 10 hours of sleep a night.
This is very new to us as we have never gone to bed so early or got up so early. But there are only so many hours in a day and we have a lot going on. Next week on weds. nights we have confirmation classes starting back up and that is more work for me. But there is our current routine, it will be interesting to see if we eventually adapt and if we learn to get everything in every day…..I hope so.